Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Say goodnight, not goodbye.

Well I can’t believe I’m coming to the end of my 9 ½ week journey to and from India...i mean, it literally is unreal. I feel like I’m saying the same thing I did the day I left FOR India. Now that I’m leaving FROM India, I cannot believe how much the Lord has taken me through in what is really 9 short weeks.

Leading up to my trip, I prayed that the Lord would challenge me, strip me of myself, and change me to be more like him in ways that I couldn’t even imagine. Well again, be careful what you pray for haha!! I can honestly say that I was challenged in ways I’ve never experienced and couldn’t possibly have anticipated. I felt loneliness and a heartache for home like never before. I relied on the Lord to sustain me (physically, spiritually, emotionally, mentally) with every desperate and weary ounce of my being. I pleaded with the Lord and in the next breath resigned my will to his. I cried out to the Lord for the known and yet the Lord gave me joy and what can only be described as divine peace, in the unknown and unfamiliar. Despite cultural, social and language barriers, his love shone through the sweet and accepting smiles of each and every child I met. Their tiny hands pulling mine, shy smiles that turned away when I caught them, and sweet voices calling “Bethany Akka” all welcomed me into their big, warm family. I now have 2 sisters and 3 brothers+ about 65 sisters and 8 brothers :). That sounds cliche but I literally feel like we are all siblings, especially the girls. I yearn to just snuggle up on a couch and watch a movie with them, do homework, play games and laugh together— just like I would with my family and friends at home. In the Kannada language, “Akka” is an honoring and respecting term for “big sister”. But to me, it’s more than just a nickname...it is truly a representation of our relationship to one another. As Akka, I love them, care for them, play with them, eat with them, live among them and pour my heart and life into them. Gosh, what an incredible privilege. I can’t believe the Lord let me know all of these amazing children and adults here. It blows my mind...that I came to India and eventually melted into life here...and that now I’m just leaving. My heart aches as I leave these girls and as they continually say, “Sister, no, don’t leave. You stay here” and it’s all I can do to not cry right then. And the distance makes it even harder. Flying to India is no small feat and as much as I’d love to “be there whenever you need me”, it just isn’t physically plausible. However, I am so comforted as the Lord reminds me that the body of Christ is his body, therefore not restrained by distance and the physical realm. We are connected in spirit and through our prayers. What a beautiful promise and gift, to be able to daily pray and lift my brothers and sisters in India to the Lord, completely surrendering them to the only one who can and truly cares for them with the heart of the Good Papa.

As you’ve been reading this, you’re probably thinking, “Sheesh, she’s all over the place.” Well, that’s just about right :). My mind feels like a jumbled mess as the Lord leads me through this transition and continues to take me through processing this experience.

I am leaving the Children’s Home around 6:30pm tonight (Aug 14), will fly out of Hubli at 8:55pm and arrive in Bangalore at 9:55pm. I will be spending the night in the airport and flying out of Bangalore at 6:30am on Aug 15 (but will be in my gate at probably like 4am). I then fly to London, New York JFK, and finally arrive in Columbus, OH at 9:20pm on (get this) Aug 15. How about that for disorienting?! Over 30 hours of traveling and still arriving on the “same day.” The lesson I’m learning: time traveling messes with your head soo much.

Please pray:
-for safety as we drive to the airport; as I spend the night in the airport alone; as I fly to bangalore, london, new york and columbus; safety in the airports.
-me as I continue processing this and how it has shaped me
-my next steps in the States (the job the Lord has for me, specifically)
-transitioning back to life at home and in American culture


So so sooo much love,
Bethany

1 comment:

  1. Bethany,
    This journey was an amazing one to witness! Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete